G. Tiberius Flynn here to give you a behind-the-scenes (and under-the-ground) look at how I made my “ROYAL RAINBOW” Katamari Damacy print.
First, a look at the digital end of things:
(Please note that the following images are much lower resolution than the files I actually work with.)
Here’s a scan of my initial ink drawing:
I drew this image on a 9″ x 12″ sheet of Bristol, so the actual size of the drawing is only about 9″ square.
Nothing too fancy here, just a jar of ink and some nibs.
There’s a little bit of ink splatter (my hand’s a bit shakier after getting hit by a car a couple months ago), but that was easy to clean up in Photoshop.
You can click on this image to make it a bit larger, but not as large as the 600 ppi I scanned it at.
I do all of my separations using Photoshop (What version are they up to now? I only gots CS3.) , and I generally work in a resolution of 300 ppi. I scanned the art in higher than that, because I knew that I was going to enlarge it.
Initially, I was planning on making this a 10.5″ x 14″ print, so that’s what size I made my “canvas” in Photoshop.
Despite the fact that many of you would find the digital aspect of this process quite fascinating, I’m going to go ahead and skip all those steps. Maybe some other time.
So, what I ended up with was a 10.5″ x 14,” 300 ppi, 77 MB Photoshop file with four spot color channels that looked something like this:
I was all ready to output my separations down at Modified (I’ve got a printing area setup in the basement), when my friend John, who prints the shirts, suggested that I make the print BIGGER! Now, the screens I use have a print area of about 15″ x 20,” but the printer we use for separations down there only goes up to 11″ x 17.” ”No problem, we’ll just print the seps on two sheets per color and then tape them together.” This is a practice that works most of the time, but due to the highly halftoned nature of this project, proved ineffective today.
I won’t go into too much detail, but I will say that I was hell of bummed out about this turn of events.
It was beginning to look like I wasn’t going to have my print done in time for the Floating World show. Luckily, John put me in touch with Geoff B from Saint Valentine, who was able to output my separations on his large-format printer. It cost me a bit of money that wasn’t really in the budget for this project, but it was totally worth it. Them films came out way sweet!
Now, with screens burned, it was time to print. Please enjoy the following photo montage:
I have a few prints from this edition for sale on Etsy right now. Print number one from the edition is currently at Floating World, and will be auctioned off at the end of the month. Next month, I’ll put the remaining prints for sale on Etsy, but they’ll be more expensive, so get in on the early bird deal!
I’d like to thank Ben and John from Modified, and Geoff B from Saint Valentine for their invaluable assistance with finishing this project. I’d also like to thank Douglas Sherwood and Jason Leivian for curating the KATAMARI show and inviting me to participate. I must also thank my lovely wife, Sara; without her support, I just wouldn’t get nothin’ done at all.
You can see it at Floating World during the month of September.
I’ll have a more detailed blog about it later.
-G Tiberius Flynn
I have finished the separations on the Katamari print!
If it looks half as good printed as it does on screen, I’m going to be very pleased indeed.